org-refile using the ID of the target

From: Jack Bauer
Subject: org-refile using the ID of the target
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:55:13 -0300

I take a lot of notes using MobileOrg in my phone, and after syncing, they go into in.org (my gtd "in basket"). From there, I do the capturing process.

Thing is, sometimes there's a *lot* of notes that I just want to refile to the "Notes" subtree from the corresponding project/context. A quick way to do that would be nice.

My idea was to use the org-speed-commands-user to have a single key to press for each category of note. I'd add entries like

("Q" (my/org-refile-to-id <ID of Notes-subtree from project Q> "TODO")

("W" (my/org-refile-to-id <ID of Notes-subtree from project W> "DONE")

("E" (my/org-refile-to-id <ID of Notes-subtree from project E> "")

At first, I tried using org-refile, but couldn't find a way to tell it to refile to a specific subtree (eg, using its id).

Then I started hackstumbling around. So far, what I could come up with was:

(defun my/org-refile-to-id (id &optional todo)
  "Refile current subtree to subtree with ID."
  (interactive
   (list (read-string "ID: ")))
  (when todo (org-todo todo))
  (org-cut-subtree)
  (let ((anchor (ignore-errors (org-id-get-create))))
    (org-id-goto id)
    (org-insert-heading-respect-content)
    (org-demote-subtree)
    (org-yank)