Re: Choosing a LaTeX Compiler (my predilection for LuaTeX)

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Choosing a LaTeX Compiler (my predilection for LuaTeX)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 21:13:56 +0200

Hi physiculus,

physiculus writes:

> Hello,
> i use LuaTex / LuaLatex successfully after some configs and readings.
> The result (quality and speed) for me is better then with the old latex
> engine.
> I'm satisfied.
> BUT one thing isn't working and as far as i read here, there is no
> solution yet :-(
> The latex-preview inside org-mode is not possible, because it seems,
> that org-mode needs the dvi subprocess for running the neccessary tools.
> With LuaLatex there is no dvi file, because it produces a pdf right
> away.
> Any solution will be wellcome.

I have this in my ~/.emacs:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq luamagick
      '(luamagick
        :programs ("lualatex" "convert")
        :description "pdf > png"
        :message "you need to install lualatex and imagemagick."
        :use-xcolor t
        :image-input-type "pdf"
        :image-output-type "png"
        :image-size-adjust (1.7 . 1.5)
        :latex-compiler ("lualatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory
%o %f")
        :image-converter ("convert -density %D -trim -antialias %f -quality 100
%O")))
(add-to-list 'org-preview-latex-process-alist luamagick)

(setq luasvg
      '(luasvg
        :programs ("lualatex" "dvisvgm")
        :description "dvi > svg"
        :message "you need to install lualatex and dvisvgm."
        :use-xcolor t
        :image-input-type "dvi"
        :image-output-type "svg"
        :image-size-adjust (1.7 . 1.5)
        :latex-compiler ("lualatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-format dvi
-output-directory %o %f")
        :image-converter ("dvisvgm %f -n -b min -c %S -o %O")))
(add-to-list 'org-preview-latex-process-alist luasvg)
(setq org-preview-latex-default-process 'luasvg)
#+end_src

You can set 'org-preview-latex-default-process' to luasvg or luamagick

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

https://juanmanuelmacias.com/