Re: Idea for handling timezones

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Idea for handling timezones
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 21:51:22 +0300

Russell,

> I would not suggest using UTC. I believe one of the reasons timestamps
> didn't include TZ information was to keep them short and human
> legible. Solutions with overlays to change a timestamp reduce the
> usefulness of the plain text reading of Org (ie: less, grep,
> etc). Storing timestamps with UTC is really a shortcut for the
> computer, not the user.

i wonder if this is perhaps another place where "org mode as simple
text" conflicts with "org mode to solve difficult problems".  that comes
up from time to time (using dollar signs as delimiters for math is one
recent example, another is "-" being "filled" into column one and taken
as an item in a new list).

it's a hard line to straddle.

Greg