Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate Non

From: Allen Li
Subject: Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 17:30:26 -0700

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as a NonGNU
> ELPA package.  You will find it here: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/
>
> See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for context.
>
> Thanks,

Will there be an overlapping period (and if not, can we add such a
period)?  For example, have one release where org-contrib is still
shipped, and the NonGNU repos are available.  That gives users such as
myself a period to switch over without things breaking immediately.

If I understand correctly, the current plan is that users using
org-contrib will have their configs break immediately when they upgrade
to 9.5, forcing them to do both the 9.5 upgrade and switchover to NonGNU
simultaneously.  It's easier if we can first safely upgrade to 9.5, then
switch to NonGNU repos, and in the next release org-contrib can be removed.