Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 13:33:39 +0000

On Friday, 19 Mar 2021 at 08:58, Tim Cross wrote:
> I am a little concerned about the expansion and addition of features in
> org mode when there seems to already be a challenge with respect to
> maintenance and bug fixing. Personally, I would prefer an org mode which
> is consistent and reliable over one with large numbers of features that
> is less stable and slower.

+1 on this.

With respect to the topic at hand, I believe it's the result of the same
tendency that Excel users have of using spreadsheets (aka tables) for
everything, something I hate when I'm given some Excel sheet that I need
to modify and where entries are huge paragraphs.  The UI in Excel is
horrible for these types of tables.  I would hate to see org go in the
same direction.

In many cases, I believe that a simple text based database format would
be more appropriate.  I wonder if the time would be better spent
providing native support for GNU recutils [1] in org instead.  It could
even have a table like export...

Just my 2¢.  Ignore as you see fit!

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-254-g37749c