Re: [FR] Add eldoc support to show cell contents in shrunk table

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [FR] Add eldoc support to show cell contents in shrunk table
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 23:43:28 -0700

just a note about what you are getting yourself into.  there be dragons.

emacs actually provides several mechanisms for help text.  idk the
complete list.  perhaps some have done it de novo with timers.

they have different actual [i've seen them] or possible characteristics:

- some being annoying because of subtle showing too much or not enough
issues [like they show even if you did not move the pointer or cursor
into the relevant area]
- possible interactions with scrolling with pointer or cursor over
stuff that flies by
- some working for text cursor but not mouse pointer or vice-versa or
not controllable [kind of a dealbreaker]

i have notes like these scribbles and had to give up trying to figure it out:

;; fixme currently
;;   mouse ignores tooltip delays for things it works for
;;     that is maybe help-echo dunno
;;   mouse ignores my eldoc thing for org tses
;; mode is off, which i think for some reason works for mouse
;; still to put in echo area

that weas referring to tooltip mode i think.

;; fixme why does this not work in either org or elisp?
;;   because there is no help-echo
;;   fixme add help-echo
;; [2017-01-16 Mon 12:48]
;;
;; fixme if i am using help-at-pt-display-when-idle to show
;; links, then put cursor over ts to activate eldoc, then put it
;; over link, the link does not show until i move cursor again.
;; thus, /eldoc breaks help-at-pt-display-when-idle/.
;; *****
[[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/chu69nhq3y6w/?&th=176f7fa279b7c934&v=c][Gmail
- bug#42484: 26.1: org-mode should display value of links in
mini-buffer]]
;; fixme capture buffer point is on a link which is annoying.
;; fixme what did i do before?  see git somewhat before
;; [2021-01-22 Fri 00:32].  perhaps i used eldoc.  perhaps htat
;; will not activate if already on link.

as you can see i wasn't too pleased with the elisp ball of wax in this
particular case.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.