Re: How to get shell source blocks to read my profile?

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: How to get shell source blocks to read my profile?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 21:59:55 +0700

On 16/03/2021 20:21, George Mauer wrote:

I do still wonder what would be the disadvantage of just configuring it to do --login by default and doing all configuration in profile scripts.

At the first glance it at least should not cause great trouble. Most shell stuff is written in fool-proof way to avoid loading interactive features in non-interactive shell or reinitialize login settings in nested shells. Local scripts could be written with less care.

I do not think you need completion functions or changing window title during execution of code snippets from emacs.

Self-contained org files have some value, you are trying to put some important settings outside. It might be reasonable for personal preferences as account names but hardly should be general practice.

On the other hand, I think, it is an equally valid question:
What is the profit?

For some reason your are avoiding over means to set environment variables. If you wish just exported environment variables, you could always create your own wrapper (untested)

#!/bin/bash

source ~/.config/wundershrc
exec "$0" "$@"