Re: Org agenda to Android calendar without Google Calendar in the middle

From: Peter Hardy
Subject: Re: Org agenda to Android calendar without Google Calendar in the middle
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 19:17:48 +1100

‪‪jamshark70@zoho.com‬‬ writes:

> The org manual page about syncing my agenda to my phone seems to rely pretty
> heavily on an
> online Google Calendar as an intermediary (including org-caldav, if I'm
> understanding the readme
> correctly.) This means the "normal" way to sync org with Android may simply
> not work for me.
>
> Ideally, I'd prefer to use a local web server that I control. How would I do
> that? (Or, is it
> impossible? Which might be the case if the Android calendar will sync only to
> Google and nowhere
> else.)

org-caldav does *not* rely on Google Calendar. The documentation does
talk about it a lot, probably because that's a major use case and the
authentication is a little more tricky. But any caldav server will work
fine.

I personally use org-caldav to sync to calendars hosted on a private
Nextcloud installation. But others such as radicale should be fine as
well.

An alternative Android app that you might like to look at is
Orgzly. I've used it a little, syncing my org files to my phone over
webdav and having Orgzly send a daily notification of tasks due that
day. It seems to work well for my meagre needs.

--
Pete