Re: Turning off all indentation in 9.4.4

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Turning off all indentation in 9.4.4
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:30:52 -0500

TRS-80 writes:

> On 2021-02-04 12:45, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
[...]
>> ORG-NEWS provides these hints:
>>
>>> To get the previous behaviour back, disable ~electric-indent-mode~
>>> explicitly:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (electric-indent-local-mode -1)))
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if you wish to keep =RET= as the "smart-return" key,
>>> but dislike Org's default indentation of sections, you may prefer to
>>> customize ~org-adapt-indentation~ to either =nil= or ='headline-data=.
[...]
> Unfortunately, unless I am doing something wrong, none of these options
> seem to really restore the previous behavior.  I have set
> ~org-adapt-indentation~ to ~'headline-data~, and now pressing RET goes
> to column 0.  However, unfortunately, TAB now no longer jumps to the
> indentation level of the previous block (for example, so I can insert a
> code block or other block structure into a plain list at the correct
> level).

I think you're talking about the following behavior.

  * a
  <point>foo

With org-adapt-indentation at nil (or the new headline-data value), foo
doesn't get indented.  This behavior is not new to 9.4.  If you try with
9.3.8 and org-adapt-indentation is set to nil, it also will not indent.
Step through org--get-expected-indentation to see how the different
values of org-adapt-indentation are handled.

So, if I'm reading your preferences correctly, it sounds like you want
just the first suggestion in the above snippet, leaving
org-adapt-indentation at its default value:

  (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (electric-indent-local-mode -1)))