Re: Content below current line lost

From: Dmitry Knyaginin
Subject: Re: Content below current line lost
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 11:29:29 +0100

Hi Eric,

I have tried the regular means to recover the latest data, but eventually had to recover from the latest git commit.

This incident sounds similar:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/44659/help-emacs-empty-my-1-year-org-file

I have some wild theories, including a gamma particle hitting my laptop ;)
But: I do not know what emacs does under the hood in the org mode.
For instance, the text below my cursor at the time of accident was about 1MB. As you type in org mode, the text below the cursor would have to be "shifted down". Maybe there is something in that operation, combined with the fact that the amount of text was relatively large... like I said, just some wild theories.

Anyways, I hope that nobody else experiences this, and if they do, then we would be able to collect bug reports and figure out a fix.

Best regards,
Dmitry

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 5:24 PM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
On Tuesday,  9 Feb 2021 at 11:57, Dmitry Knyaginin wrote:
> during typing, all content below the current line disappeared.
> The content was unrecoverable with "undo".

:-(

You can type C-h l at any time to see all your recent keystrokes, in
case it was something you mis-typed to lead to this outcome.

Check to see if you have a backup of the file: Emacs, by default, will
copy the original contents to filename~, i.e. adding a ~ to the end of
the file name.  Well, at least on Linux it does; not sure about macOS...

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-213-g49364f