org-no-popups nilling display-buffer-alist

From: "Joshua O'Connor"
Subject: org-no-popups nilling display-buffer-alist
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 09:10:31 +0000

Hi,
I wanted to control the positioning of the *Org Select* buffer, so I
first went to add a rule to 'display-buffer-alist'.
But I found it didn't work, as the function in question calls
'org-switch-to-buffer-other-window', which in turn calls an odd macro
'org-no-popups', which appears to let-nil the 'display-buffer-alist'.

I was wondering what the reason is for this? To me I expected this
variable to be reserved for me as a user to choose where windows can go,
which I think is a good plan given that you cannot possible know all the
configurations a user may want the window to appear.

As it stands, I resorted to redefining this function and removing the
'org-no-popups' section, but I have a sinking feeling that it's going to
end up with some odd window behaviour one day.

  (defun org-switch-to-buffer-other-window (args)
  ;;  (org-no-popups
  ;;     (apply 'switch-to-buffer-other-window args)))
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window args))

Thanks,

Joshua