org-no-popups overriding display-buffer-alist

From: "Joshua O'Connor"
Subject: org-no-popups overriding display-buffer-alist
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 16:33:25 +0000

Hi,

I was wondering what the reason is for Org to employ the tactic of
overriding the variable 'display-buffer-alist' in a few places, using
the 'org-no-popups' macro?

It's my understanding that this variable is to be exclusively set by
users, and acts as the "it's my program, I'll put windows where I want
them" setting.

The manual has this to say

"display-buffer-alist and display-buffer-base-action are user options—Lisp
programs must never set or rebind them. display-buffer-overriding-action, on
the other hand, is reserved for applications—who seldom use that option and if
they use it, then with utmost care."

I've ended up with this rather inelegant cludge:

(defun org-switch-to-buffer-other-window (args)
"Switch to buffer in a second window on the current frame.
In particular, do not allow pop-up frames.
Returns the newly created buffer.
Redefined to allow pop-up windows."
  ;;  (org-no-popups
  ;;     (apply 'switch-to-buffer-other-window args)))
  (switch-to-buffer-other-window args))

Does anyone know of a better way to reassert my window preferences?

If concrete context will help: I'm specifically wanting to shift the
"*Org Select*" buffers into a side window rather than them do whatever
they want.

Cheers,
Joshua