Bug: Double quotes in tables and arguments

From: Christine Köhn
Subject: Bug: Double quotes in tables and arguments
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 13:51:38 +0100

Hi,

I'm working with tokenized texts in org-mode tables including single
characters such as double quotes. When trying to read a cell with an
(unpaired) double quote at the beginning, the cell cannot be read ("End
of file during parsing"). I've looked a bit into this (see attached
file). At first, I thought it's a mere documentation issue: Double
quotes probably have a special meaning. The documentation of
org-bable-read (ob-core.el) does not mention a double quote as special
character:

> "Convert the string value of CELL to a number if appropriate.
> Otherwise if CELL looks like lisp (meaning it starts with a
> \"(\", \"\\='\", \"\\=`\" or a \"[\") then read and evaluate it as
> lisp, otherwise return it unmodified as a string.  Optional
> argument INHIBIT-LISP-EVAL inhibits lisp evaluation for
> situations in which is it not appropriate."

This is how cells with double quotes at the beginning are read:

> ((eq (string-to-char cell) ?\") (read cell))

I don't know why double quotes are handled as special characters and I
did not find any documentation on it.

This issue also exists when caching results from code blocks: If a
result starts with an (unpaired) double quote and it is cached, it
cannot be read anymore.

Best,
Christine