Re: org-refile and ivy

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: org-refile and ivy
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 06:24:20 +1100

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 15:49, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all org mode list readers,
>>
>> I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
>> the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
>> org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
>> if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
>> headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
>> documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
>> name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.
>>
>> This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
>> date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
>> org-refile as a result.
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> I use org-refile with ivy, so I might share.  If I recall correctly, the
> only thing that does not play well between the two is
> `org-outline-path-complete-in-steps`.   My basic setup is the following:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq org-refile-targets
>       '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 6)
>         ;; 'nil' means consider headings of the current buffer
>         (nil :maxlevel . 6)))
> (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
> (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
> #+end_src
>
> That should get you started.  I personally like org-refile for its
> quickness, so I do some extra work to filter out candidates of this list
> and keeping only the frequent targets (with
> `org-refile-target-verify-function').  And if something atypical arises,
> I just go with kill-yank.
>
> Note however, on the relation of org-refile and ivy:
> https://orgmode.org/list/87tuvrj7ww.fsf@gmail.com/

I am using spacemacs, currently with helm, but have used it with ivy as
well and I have the following setup for my org-refile, which I find
works well for my purposes.

      org-refile-allow-creating-parent-nodes 'confirm
      org-refile-targets (quote ((nil :maxlevel . 3)
                                 (org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)))
      org-refile-use-outline-path t

which allows me to type some of the 'path' name (e.g. outline heading or
org file name) and it shows me appropriate candidates.

I don't know if there is some spacemacs helm/ivy setup which plays a
part here - it just works, so I've not looked any further.

org version reports 9.4.4

--
Tim Cross