Re: [BUG] [C-u C-u C-c C-o] open link with external program invalid to o

From: Christopher Miles
Subject: Re: [BUG] [C-u C-u C-c C-o] open link with external program invalid to open file
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 03:21:50 +0000

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> On 19/01/2021 08:53, Christopher Miles wrote:
>>
>> For this problem, do you have any workable solution patch?
>
> Maybe for a while it is better to avoid xdg-open or other handlers that
> launch actual viewers in background. E.g. to replace xdg-open with
> actual handlers in mailcap.
>
> I attach a draft patch that just demonstrates my intention to use
> make-process. It intentionally does not use shell to run the command and
> such change could be breaking for some part of users. I have not tested
> if regexp substitutions for org-file-apps entries are not broken.
>
> In kubuntu-18.04 I do not have any xdg-open entries in the system
> mailcap file. Even if I add such line to the user's file, I could not
> reproduce the problem with any of the real handler configured for the
> image/png type and launched by xdg-open: geeqie, gwenview, feh. I have
> no idea concerning the reason: older xdg-open version, other code
> working in xdg-open for kde desktop, or limited resources allocated to
> qemu virtual machine with ubuntu-20.04 where I can reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your working. I will modify my mailcap config temporary until Org
Mode fix this issue. You're right, this change might break some behavior of some
users. I don't understand Emacs sub-process mechanism. Can't help on this
problem. But I'm interested in this. I will take some time to study in. Anyway,
thanks for your work.

Regards,

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3