Re: [BUG] [C-u C-u C-c C-o] open link with external program invalid to o

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] [C-u C-u C-c C-o] open link with external program invalid to open file
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 00:00:42 +0700

On 19/01/2021 08:53, Christopher Miles wrote:

For this problem, do you have any workable solution patch?

Maybe for a while it is better to avoid xdg-open or other handlers that launch actual viewers in background. E.g. to replace xdg-open with actual handlers in mailcap.

I attach a draft patch that just demonstrates my intention to use make-process. It intentionally does not use shell to run the command and such change could be breaking for some part of users. I have not tested if regexp substitutions for org-file-apps entries are not broken.

In kubuntu-18.04 I do not have any xdg-open entries in the system mailcap file. Even if I add such line to the user's file, I could not reproduce the problem with any of the real handler configured for the image/png type and launched by xdg-open: geeqie, gwenview, feh. I have no idea concerning the reason: older xdg-open version, other code working in xdg-open for kde desktop, or limited resources allocated to qemu virtual machine with ubuntu-20.04 where I can reproduce the problem.