bug#42484: 26.1: org-mode should display value of links in mini-buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: bug#42484: 26.1: org-mode should display value of links in mini-buffer
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:54:57 +0200

> In org-mode, when POINT is moved over an org-mode link, wouldn't it be
> reasonable for the value of that link to appear in the mini-buffer? The
> advantage of that is the user would know where the link points and what
> would happen if the link is opened (eg. would an external program open,
> would the network be queried).

I need this feature too to display not only links, but also
file names of generated images after executing SRC blocks.

So I've customized the option 'help-at-pt-display-when-idle'
to the value 't', and it displays the links and image file names
in the echo area.

Then later I noticed that it displays also useless help-echo
properties in other modes, e.g. on file names in Dired.
Fortunately, the same option allows to filter out such useless
properties by defining the property whose presence activates
displaying the help-echo property.  I noticed that only
org-mode puts the property 'htmlize-link' on links.

So customizing 'help-at-pt-display-when-idle' to the value
'(htmlize-link) completely solves this problem.