ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag

From: Tim Visher
Subject: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:32:01 -0500

Hi all,

I noticed over the weekend that the `<title>` tag in an ox-html document is populated with HTML when inline formatting like bold or italics is used. I'm running org 9.4.4 but even on HEAD this behavior seems to be the same where `(org-export-data title …)` is used to populate the title rather than something that would render the title textually.

My understanding from MDN is that `title` tags should never contain markup.

Is this something we'd take a patch for? My thought is that the title should be converted using the text backend by default, perhaps with a configuration variable that would let you specify a different one (for instance markdown) but I wouldn't go that far at first. Of course at minimum since org is textual it could just use the title without exporting at all but I think that doesn't go far enough. The other possibility would be to somehow strip all special characters from the title but I think that goes much too far.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.