Bug: test-org-archive/datetree fails with German locale

From: Christian Garbs
Subject: Bug: test-org-archive/datetree fails with German locale
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 21:24:38 +0100

Hello,

I've run across a test error on the current HEAD.
When I run "make test" on my system, then test-org-archive/datetree
fails.

The test fails because the expected output should contain "Sunday",
but with a German locale the generated text is "Sonntag" instead
(which is the German translation of "Sunday").

+v
Test test-org-archive/datetree condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (string-match-p
        (regexp-quote "*** 2020-07-05 Sunday
**** a")
        (org-test-with-temp-text-in-file "* a
" ...)))
      :form
      (string-match-p "\\*\\*\\* 2020-07-05 Sunday
\\*\\*\\*\\* a"
                      #("* 2020

** 2020-07 Juli

*** 2020-07-05 Sonntag
**** a
     :PROPERTIES:
     :ARCHIVE_TIME: 2020-07-05 So 00:00
     :ARCHIVE_FILE: /tmp/tmp-orgtest/org-testogmzZy
     :ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: org-testogmzZy
     :END:
" 53 54
(org-category "org-testogmzZy")
214 215
(org-category "org-testogmzZy")))
      :value nil))
   FAILED  1/1  test-org-archive/datetree
-v

Running the tests with LANG=C or even just LC_TIME=C makes the test
pass again.

A simple fix for this would be to prepend LANG=C to $(EMACSQ) in
mk/default.mk so all tests run with a defined locale.

This would prevent other locale-related test failures in the future.
But on the other hand this would also hide real locale-related bugs in
the production code, as all tests only run with LANG=C from then on.

A less intrusive fix would be to replace the fixed string "Sunday" in
the test regexp by the localized weekday.

What do you think?

Best regards
Christian
--