Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug: (org-release) returns empty string on Elpa [ ( @ /home/pierre/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 10:36:53 -0500

>> Since the latest update to 9.4.4, some of us in Guix have been
>> experiencing issues with loading packages that depend on Org [0]. It
>> seems the root of the problem is that (org-release) returns an empty
>> string, you can see this manifesting in this email actually :-).
[...]
> In between those two releases, there seems to have been some
> restructuring on ELPA's end, in particular ee03829f90 (Finalize the new
> master branch, 2020-12-14).

Indeed that's the origin of the problem.

I don't know exactly how `org-version.el` is created and how the release
version is extracted&inserted, so I'm not sure how to fix it.

The approach I'd advocate would be to use `package-get-version` (or
something similar since `package-get-version` doesn't exist in
Emacs<27).

        Stefan