Re: Org to ConTeXt exporter?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Org to ConTeXt exporter?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:03:53 +0100

On 2020-12-28, at 19:03, Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:

> Hello, Diego,
>
> Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:
>
>> I have never used ConTeXt, but from what I've seen, despite its many
>> differences, a lot is still similar to TeX/LaTeX (e.g. math). Given
>> this, I think it might be easier to create a new derived exporter from
>> ox-latex, and override the parts that differ, instead of creating a
>> new one completely from scratch.
>
> You are right, maybe it is better to start with ox-latex, since LaTeX
> and ConTeXt are related.

I beg to differ.  The relation between LaTeX and ConTeXt is that they
both come from plain TeX, but both came a long way, and there are
significant differences between the two.  Personally, I'd rather start
that exporter from scratch.  I wrote my exporter a few years ago, it's
not that difficult.

Here's the thing.  Some time ago, I have dedicated about 20 minutes per
day (sometimes less, sometimes more, but the average over the past 6
years is about 17 minutes now) to what I call "creative writing" -
mainly the book I was working on for the past 5 years with two more
people (and that book is now complete) and my blog.  I will try to use
some of that time to start that tutorial, and maybe I will then publish
it on my blog or somewhere.  (I also want to get back to the book on
Elisp I started a long time ago, but that can wait a few more weeks.)

But here's the thing: I'll need help.  I know LaTeX very well - I've
been using plain TeX for about 25 years now and LaTeX for about 20
years, including writing quite a few packages and classes - but I don't
know ConTeXt that well.  (I did use it a bit, but not very extensively.)

Where could we start working on it?  I suppose GitHub/GitLab is out of
question, so?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski