Re: Yet another browser extension for capturing notes - LinkRemark

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: Yet another browser extension for capturing notes - LinkRemark
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:16:06 +0700

On 26/12/2020, Samuel Wales wrote:

[... i can imagine great things possible with such extensions. for
example, you could have sets of tabs, selected by right click in
firefox, to save to a bunch of org entries.  then you could load that
particular set of entries into firefox whenever you want.  and you
could keep notes on each page and move the entries wherever you want.
this would be useful for such things as "i am researching rice
cookers; these are my tabs, but i don't want them cluttering firefox
and i want them with my org notes and to make notes on them and will
re-load them into firefox when i want to revisit".]

It should be possible since some tab management extension were used in mozilla to evaluate if webextensions are mature enough and if support of XUL add-ons could be dropped. On the other hand do not expect such feature soon. A kind of semi-blocker is absence of automatic tests to run before every release, and it will require a lot of time.

In the meanwhile, have you looked at the following comment?
https://github.com/sprig/org-capture-extension/issues/12#issuecomment-323569334
alphapapa commented Aug 20, 2017

You can do this with the "Copy all URLs" extension (ID:
djdmadneanknadilpjiknlnanaolmbfk). Use this as the custom format (note
the linebreak):

[[$url][$title]]

I am almost sure that similar extension should exist for Firefox as well.

Some points should be clarified in my opinion

- Do you expect that metadata should be captured in addition to URLs and titles? Browsers can unload some tabs making page content unavailable. - Are you going to capture reviews of "rice cookers" that could be considered as ordinary pages or you are going to save items from online stores? I do not current state of affairs but I have heard about some activity for special metadata that allows search engines to display products in a special way. Could you inspect head element of pages in your favorite stores contains desired metadata using page source or inspect element tools? - Should tab group be captured as single Org heading or it should be a tree with a section per tab? I am not sure that capture will have no problem with subtree. Certainly Emacs interface for org-protocol + capture are not suitable for sending each tab as a separate link. Another option is to create nested lists, anyway org formatter in my extension need improvements. Are you expecting headings subtree or nested lists?

[now if i can only debug the extra-blank-lines-in-capture problem.]

Fully agree that it is really annoying. It is among high priority items in my TODO list.

Accidentally I pressed =C-x C-o= and discovered [[help:delete-blank-lines]] innerText is not exactly the same as selection range toString but the rules could work in a similar way. Table rows, floating and absolutely positioned elements require newlines. Such elements are often abused by designers.
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/dom.html#dom-innertext