Re: [9.4] Fixing logbook visibility during isearch

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [9.4] Fixing logbook visibility during isearch
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 10:51:17 +0800

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

> I've looked at your branch for inspiration, and my takeaway is that the
> isearch-open-invisible-temporary route might be too involved for a
> bugfix, especially if it's going to be reverted wholesale when your
> branch gets merged.  Then again, maybe I'm not smart enough to devise a
> solution.

My current plan is supporting the overlay-based approach even after
merging the branch (by default). So, overlays should be around for a
while and the issue with drawer visibility will be around as well,
unless you fix it. I will probably work on this in distant future, but
that's not the priority now.

> I wonder if the path of least resistance couldn't be found in
> org-cycle-hide-drawers: right now this function just skips over drawers
> which are covered with an invisible overlay, but maybe it should not
> skip a drawer if the overlay starts before it (i.e. the overlay is not
> specific to this drawer but covers a whole containing section).

That would defeat the purpose why the number of overlays was reduced in
Org 9.4. However, org-cycle-hide-drawers might be called in
isearch-open-invisible-temporary.

Best,
Ihor