Re: Release Org 9.4.2

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Release Org 9.4.2
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 07:19:25 +0100

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

>> But (1) it is not only *our* decision, it's also in the hands of the
>> Emacs maintainers, which may think otherwise; (2) all the consequences
>> need to be considered, as it is a sensible move; (3) I am on the verge
>> of stepping down as a maintainer, so it is not a good time for me to
>> push into a direction or another.
>
> I sensed (3) when I saw an email (last month I guess) about assimilating
> parts of Org into Emacs. While that is a good idea. But I don’t have a
> very good feeling about you leaving. You have contributed so much. You
> have maintained it so well.
>
> I can understand how it feels when people complain about features. And
> sometimes they blame the maintainers for some specific product
> directions. But it is bound to happen when they are also attached to the
> product. I hope these things have not shaped up your decision. It
> happens in a closely knit family.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, appreciated.

Be reassured, the fact that I shall soon step down has nothing to do
with the community: in fact, the community is what kept me motivated
for nearly ten years now!

This decision is a simple combination of me not having enough time
(which can lead to frustrating situations for other contributors) and
the fact that I'm confident about Org's future.

>> Anyway, I don't think now is the right time to consider this move, as
>> there are many more things to achieve. I suggest we discuss this again
>> later next year.
>
> Yes. This is endless. We’ll continue this...

... but I'm very receptive to the real questions: how can we expose
the latest Org to more testers? how can we recruit more contributors?

If at some point developing Org within Emacs seems to be part of a
good solution, I'll be all for it.  I definitely prefer this scenario
to the one where Org is kicked out Emacs core and moved to a separate,
not-installed-by-default, GNU ELPA package.

Best,

--
 Bastien