Re: Emacs as an Org LSP server

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Emacs as an Org LSP server
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:39:11 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 05:22:55PM +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> If I try to analogise from how LSP works for golang, I believe the LSP
> server does things like
> - complete symbol beginning with "Xyz"
> - tell me where so-and-so function is defined (e.g. so that the client
> editor can jump to it).
> I'm not sure if operations like that make sense for Org.

LSP is also REST based, so your editor how has to talk to a web
*server* over a network. This could be central, and not just on your
machine. How would you know in an update that didn't happen?

> Another possibility might be interacting, from a 3rd party editor, with a
> body of Org content that has been primarily written and managed in Emacs.
> If so, what would those interactions be?  Marking a task as done?
> Something more complex than that?

I'm not interested in spending any time improving an LSP for Org which
would give non-free editors additional functionality with Org files.

That Microsoft is involved in the LSP specification seals the deal for
me.