Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user options
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 11:46:13 +0300

* TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> [2020-12-13 06:34]:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CREATED:  [2020-12-13 Sun 11:36]
  :ID:       2e42666a-d04b-4f46-ba90-a923a5e2c50d
  :END:
> On 2020-12-11 21:35, Jean Louis wrote:
> >
> > By the way I have completely switched all action management to my
> > database system with tabulated list mode. No more using Org for action
> > management, only for document, not even short notes.
>
> It sounds like you have well moved on to another solution by now,
> however I did want to point out what I thought was one small factual
> inaccuracy.

Org files I have always found useful for project and plan documents
preparation, in particular LaTeX and PDF export. As that way I get
better readability on screen and good printed document.

None of such projects and plans need be marked with TODO as its nature
is that it is action plan, all items are actionable items. We print a
project and execute it. People report on project steps by email.

There is no need to write TODO anywhere as printed file cannot be
changed easily to DONE, it is redundant marking action list item on
the paper with anything but heavy check mark ✔ with initals and date
and time when it was completed. Using it for printed projects is not
same as using computer. In general it makes more practical sense to
export Org files to paper and focus on what has to be done instead on
focusing on decorating Org properties or tags as it wastes time.

In general I can say that any elementary object has related
action. For example URL or hyperlink can demand ACTION. It is
equivalent to TODO. A hyperlink may have annotation, description or
relations to some pages, people, locations and similar.

A paragraph can be elementary object itself. Set of paragraphs could
be elementary object. A list item could be elementary object. Any
elementary object may be related to person, organization, smaller
group of people or other objects, assignee or group as assigned group
to conduct the action, maybe related to specific opportunity,
business, page in a website revision system, file of any type, tags,
or what is else necessary. Things are related. We cannot deny basic
fundaments of our life. Software must be there to help align relations
in human life and to ease locating related and relevant
objects.

In general I will prevent working for computer in my future. Computer
has to work for me. Those are my personal needs that reflect on the
groups positively, reasonably and practically. My staff does not even
know that there exists something as "TODO" item. The nature of a
document has meaning that projects are to do.

> > Org mode have imposed reverse on users where for example a list of
> > items is only then completed as DONE when subordinate tasks have been
> > completed as DONE
>
> Unless I am badly mistaken, I think this is only true when
> org-enforce-todo-dependencies is non-nil?

Variable is nil on my side.

- [-] Something
  - [ ] one
  - [ ] two
  - [X] three

I cannot mark Something to be done without marking those subordinate
items. Changing org-enforce-todo-dependencies does not change
anything. User will need to lie to oneself to close those items to
become able to close senior item.

One would also expect that mentioned variables should influence this
type of structured action items, but it does not. It relates only to
headings. Org offers list item based actions with - [ ] but does not
handle such.

** TODO Buy shoes [1/3] [33%]
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CREATED:  [2020-12-13 Sun 11:36]
   :ID:       d488c7e5-941a-4ce6-aec3-e1b20e1acd70
   :END:

- [ ] Visit shop A
- [ ] Visit shop B
- [X] Visit shop C

What is good that this way the senior item can be completed without
completing subordinate items. In my opinion that is more human alike.

If I do turn on the mentioned variable `org-enforce-todo-dependencies'
to TRUE, I can still close the senior objective here. This is good,
but variable does not do expected.

** DONE Senior objective
   CLOSED: [2020-12-13 Sun 11:22]
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CREATED:  [2020-12-13 Sun 11:36]
   :ID:       6f2fba8a-925b-4c99-9d62-5f48d433a8cc
   :END:
*** TODO Subordinate action 1
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CREATED:  [2020-12-13 Sun 11:36]
    :ID:       1c3c2da7-c564-43e0-b274-b8f0065624ec
    :END:
*** TODO Subordinate action 2
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CREATED:  [2020-12-13 Sun 11:36]
    :ID:       9cb275fd-fcbf-441c-b42d-62c82aa3ff56
    :END:

Variable mentions:

Its value is t
Original value was nil

  You can customize this variable.

Documentation:
Non-nil means undone TODO entries will block switching the parent to DONE.
Also, if a parent has an :ORDERED: property, switching an entry to DONE will
be blocked if any prior sibling is not yet done.
Finally, if the parent is blocked because of ordered siblings of its own,
the child will also be blocked.

> Non-nil means undone TODO entries will block switching the parent to DONE.

It obviously does not do that what me as user expects. But I am not
asking for solution neither help in solving unsolvable issues around
Org related planning as it leads to further complexities. Those issues
are really solved on my side as I just use it for documents.

These comments are meant for people to design their own maybe better
ways than having scattered lists everywhere.

Jean