Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed

From: pietru
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 05:57:12 +0100

> If you care to share a slightly bigger picture view, particularly about
> the structure of the data you are trying to capture (and/or, your
> workflow) we could likely come up with something that would work much
> better for you than a capture template, at least in this particular
> case.

Most agencies, universities, museums and archaeological organizations use
standard forms for recording sites. Generally speaking these are used but
with a couple of caveats.  First, there are occasions when a standard form
may not call for recording enough data or the right kinds of data to satisfy
particular needs.  Then there are Exclusive Surveys (Incomplete coverage,
portions of the project are excluded) and Unsystematic Surveys (done without
a specific plan, methods at varied level of intensity; coverage random,
opportunistic, or intuitive). In many instances, previous work would have
been done, so people would want to quickly skip entries.

The plan for Org-Mode Capture is primarily for such Exclusive and Unsystematic
Surveys
where we do not necessarily use standard forms.  I'm not sure if you capture
the drift
concerning unsystematic surveys.  Most times I cannot tell you exactly what
people in
the field came up with.  The pace can be rapid and some could be working in
challenging
conditions.  The plan is for the Crew Chief to make a quick template, and which
could
change each day.  maintain and review notebooks and records and overseeing
quality
control is done daily.  It is customary to split the day.  One of the best ways
we
improve survey efficiency is to anticipate bottlenecks and invent creative
logistical
solutions right in the field.

The long template situation then occurs.  You can access better than myself as
you
know what org and org-capture can do and what not.  I briefly reported on what
we
found problematic in practice.  But we're at the beginning of this, and would
likely report  on other things as we progress.  Still, most things are likely
to be done by the "Institute for Technologies applied to Cultural Heritage
(itabc)".

Nevertheless, we see some aspects where your scheme can be improved to cater
for more
serious work.  Emacs is quite good software.

Hope my comments helped somewhat.

Pietru