Re: set source directory for org-attach

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: set source directory for org-attach
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:40:29 -0800

gyro funch <gyromagnetic@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

I'm relatively new to org-mode.

I am tending to use org-attach quite a bit as part of my workflow.

Instead of having to navigate from default-directory to the source of the attachment, it would be great if I could set a better default.

I am probably missing something obvious, but is there a way to set the
default source directory for attachments?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.As far as I’m aware, the attachments need to be kept in a directory that is special and separate, because *every item* in the directory is treated as an attachment. If you set this to a different directory, and then from within your document tried to delete all attachments, then *everything* in the whole directory would be lost. Wouldn’t it?

I think your particular workflow might possibly be better served by creating file: links to all those files instead of attaching them - that way, you can keep your files wherever you wish. It might be safer to treat the attachment function as being a way to manage finished permanent files that no longer need editing, to be included as-is.

Section 4 of the Org-mode manual, titled “Hyperlinks”, shows everything about links including links to your own files. You may use Org-mode functions to help you create links, or you can type them out by hand - the result is exactly the same, as long as there are no typos of course.

--
David Rogers