Re: Adding Org Files to org-agenda-files

From: Jeremie Juste
Subject: Re: Adding Org Files to org-agenda-files
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 21:55:34 +0100

Hello,

>> If you have *both* a settings in your emacs init file for
>> org-agenda-files using (setq org-agenda-files...) and you have a line in
>> your (custom ...) section, you should remove one of them to avoid
>> confusion. In general, what is in the custom section will take
>> preference as it is usually loaded last. If your going to remove the one
>> in the custom section, run M-x customize-variable <ret> org-agenda-files
>> <ret> and then select the options under the 'state' button to 'Erase
>> Customisation', don't just erase the values in the 'Value Menu' box.
>
> Emacs automatically introduced the custom, did not write it myself.

I fear I might have been the source of the confusion by suggesting
the command (org-agenda-file-to-front), which has triggered another
definition of org-agenda-file in the custom-set-variables section.  I
hadn't realized fully the consequences.

I apologize for this and I hope that it won't turn any user
against each other. I must confess that among the mailing-lists I have
subscribed to, this mailing list is the most cordial.

Yes using both the `custom-set-variables` section and setting variable
can introduce confusion. I am sure many of us have fallen prey to
(counting me many times).

At the same time it is convenient for some people to be able to
customize easily some variable and some users might use
custom-set-variables exclusively.

We just need to understand the consequences of it and I guess many
users of emacs eventually come to do with these two options and even use
the best of both world modifying directly variables in the init files
and using the custom-set-variables section.

It is a bug? I wouldn't say so. Can we explain to (new) users better
about it? Probably.

Best regards,
Jeremie