Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user

From: daniela-spit
Subject: Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user options
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 21:19:45 +0100

> Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 9:07 PM
> From: "Tom Gillespie" <tgbugs@gmail.com>
> To: daniela-spit@gmx.it
> Subject: Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting
> user options
>
> Here is a workaround. Emacs klobbering settings in .emacs has caused
> many issues for me in the past. The solution I finally came up with
> was to ensure that custom variables are loaded before any of my
> settings. Near the top of my .emacs (before any calls to setq) I have
> the following:
>
> ;;;; custom set variables
> ;;; PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE EXIT AND STAY OUT OF MY INIT FILE
> ;;; These come first so that they will be overwritten by settings in packages
> ;;; in order to prevent stale variables from klobbering new values
> (setq custom-file (expand-file-name  "custom.el" user-emacs-directory))
> (when (file-exists-p custom-file)
>   (load custom-file))

Would this affect my own custom

(custom-set-variables)

(custom-set-faces
   ;; '(font-lock-comment-face ((t (:foreground "#000000"))))
   '(font-lock-keyword-face ((t (:foreground "#FFDD00"))))    ; yellow
   '(font-lock-type-face ((t (:foreground "#FFDD00"))))    )  ; yellow

> If you have that then your list will be retained. However Emacs will
> probably continue to ask you to remove the missing file until some
> file exists at that path. Not sure about the org agenda behavior for
> missing files since I populate org-agenda-files by scanning folders
> for existing org files and then having a blacklist to exclude files I
> do not want.

Yes it gives you hell in its demand to delete or abort, rather than
ignoring the file.

That's why I called the problem a bug.  If you don't find the file, ignore it.