Re: consistent behavior across babel languages

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: consistent behavior across babel languages
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 08:47:53 -0500

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM Neil Jerram <neiljerram@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wonderful, thank you.  I have been thinking it would be nice to have a test
> suite along these lines, but detailed doc like this is more feasible and
> maintainable.

A test suite is a good idea as a next step to protect correct
behaviors. I want to first look at actual behaviors and get agreement
on correct behaviors first. On the other hand, each of the language's
test suites should cover the same ground so a separate test suite may
not make sense.

> When time permits I will work on adding Scheme to this page.

Great, thanks!

> FWIW, I did not understand the "functional" and "scripting" terms that you
> use on this page.
>
> I've understood now, from
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html, that you mean
> "results: value" and "results: output".  For me it would be better if you
> said that instead of "functional" and "scripting", as the former is what I
> can actually type in my Org files.

yes, it's in the manual as well [1], but I agree that alternating
between two sets of terms here is unnecessarily confusing. Will
change.

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Results-of-Evaluation.html#Results-of-Evaluation