Re: [bug] Export to latex truncates long subsections (WE attached)

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [bug] Export to latex truncates long subsections (WE attached)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:58:24 +1100

Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com> writes:

> So what is the status of this story?
>
> I believe that if one exports an org file with sufficiently many empty
> TODO headings (to me, it seems a perfectly valid use case of org,
> printing lists of TODOs), they won't fit on a single page, and latex
> will drop them. Would the latex snippet in this thread be a good
> candidate for inclusion into org as a canned trick?
>
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 14:57, Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have indeed investigated the issue, and this is the link:
>> https://latex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32788
>>
>> To make the long story short, the folowing trick is needed to allow
>> page breaks after headings (which is a completely standard case in
>> -org).
>>
>> #+begin_src latex
>> \usepackage{xpatch}
>> \makeatletter
>> % This is not recommended, because it can break several things
>> \xpatchcmd{\@afterheading}{\@nobreaktrue}{\@nobreakfalse}{%
>> \typeout{WARNING: \string\@afterheading\space broken}%
>> }{%
>> \@latexerr{ERROR: Cannot patch \string\@afterheading}\@ehd%
>> }
>> \makeatother
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Shall this trick be considered for inclusion in 'org' officially?
>> I mean, having lists of empty headings is a perfectly standard use case for
>> org.

What are the implications of doing this? In particular, the comment

>> % This is not recommended, because it can break several things

Many people have quite complex environments for generating Latex and we
would need to be certain that adding this package doesn't 'break several
things'.

At the very least, something should probably be put on worg so that
anyone who is running into the page breaking issue can add the snippet
using file header lines.

--
Tim Cross