Re: Tables: missing multi-col/row syntax

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Tables: missing multi-col/row syntax
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:28:58 +0800

I think we may be able get something promising by merging your
(Christian + Tom) ideas and David's. What if we have have a
#+TBLCELLMERGE key which acts as you describe, and /just using the
current table syntax/ have something like this (using the example from
my first email)

| a | b  | c |
|---+----+---|
| hi    || a |
| two x || . |
| three || b |
|  c | - | . |
#+TBLCELLMERGE: @2$1..@4$2

This is /currently/ a valid Org table, which /currently/ autoformats to:
| a     | b | c |
|-------+---+---|
| hi    |   | a |
| two x |   | . |
| three |   | b |
| c     | - | . |

So with an autoformatting change + an overlay, perhaps we can do this
nicely without any syntax changes 😃.

Thoughts?

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

+1 for enabling table-cell merges in export. I imagine this would be a tricky job for developers, but it would relieve me as a user of much
repeated fiddling with exported drafts.

+1 for doing it without adding clutter to the table syntax, but
specifying merges on a separate line like formulas, like Tom's

  #+TBLCELLMERGE: @2..3$1

(amended here to use the established '..' rather than hyphen for range)

Though if we do add such a line, we might also think of a more general solution that could over time be extended with additional formatting
options, e.g. something like

#+TBLSTYLE: @2..3$1='(:merge t)::@4$1='(:bgcolor yellow :color red)

But obviously that could open a can of worms, aka potentially endless feature requests requiring different implementations for each backend.

Yours,
Christian

Tom Gillespie writes:

Any support for something like this would need to retain backward compatibility as well to avoid older versions reformatting the tables due to e.g. the presence of a double pipe. I also think that extending the table syntax in ways that makes it more complex than it already is, will be a non-starter. Thus, an alternate but more likely approach would be to allow specification of what cells to merge outside the table as is done for formulas. It is not elegant, but it would be a layer on top of existing syntax, and it would allow the fundamental
structure of the table to remain the same -- rows of cells. For
example #+TBLCELLMERGE: @2-3$1 or something like that. Thoughts?
Tom