Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 05:31:28 -0800

Hi Eric,

On 2020-11-03 at 05:00 -08, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote...
> The benefits of org mode for me are that it is Emacs. [...] I find it
> difficult to see any further standardization that would provide any
> real benefits *to me*. If others see those benefits, excellent! All
> power to them and I hope there is success in greater use of org
> documents outside Emacs which would possibly trickle back benefits
> into org mode in Emacs.

No need to apologize!

I'm similar to you re emacs usage and cannot imagine I'd leave it even if
3rd-party implementations existed. There is no way that 3rd party tool would
also read my email, have magit, implement all of Org that I use, edit TeX, etc.

But I'm weary of seeing all my colleagues say "Jupyter" and not "Org" when it
comes to sharing their code/work. I have a fantasy that in 5 years I tell
someone who doesn't use Emacs but uses Atom or some other editor to "pip
install org-lsp" and then double-click on this Org file I just emailed you, and
then right-click on the code block and select "evaluate" from the popup menu.
That sounds horrific to me as a user, except the part where I can interact more
powerfully with more colleagues.

In this fantasy this adds no additional effort or stress to the current devs,
because we're a big diverse community, and if TEC doesn't want to work on Org
core code, but does want to make an emacs-lsp or org-lsp, more power to them.

  -k.