Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 13:00:05 +0000

On Tuesday,  3 Nov 2020 at 04:14, Ken Mankoff wrote:
> Again: GitHub. Orgzly. The conversation should move from "it can't be
> done" or "it isn't helpful" (why so much negativity on this thread?)

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry if I came across as being negative.  I am not.  I just think
that there is a clear difference between what some people think org mode
is and what others think.  I think it's primarily Emacs plus some
specific markup, including org babel and some understanding of LaTeX
constructs, whereas others maybe think it's markup that happens to be
interpreted by Emacs.  The two are very different animals.

The benefits of org mode for me are that it is Emacs.  I could continue
to work (maybe not quite as efficiently) without org mode but I would
really suffer without Emacs.  I've been using Emacs since 1984 and org
mode since 2008.  And gnus for what feels like forever. ;-) So maybe I'm
old skool and fossilised in my views. :-(  Apologies if so.

I have no problem with a clear syntax definition for org mode documents
and Nikolas has gone a long ways in providing that.  Beyond that, I find
it difficult to see any further standardization that would provide any
real benefits *to me*.  If others see those benefits, excellent!  All
power to them and I hope there is success in greater use of org
documents outside Emacs which would possibly trickle back benefits into
org mode in Emacs.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-61-ga88806.dirty