Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:40:23 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

If there is absolutely zero burden put on the shoulders of Org's
maintainers, then I'm all for it.

From the look of things, there's just effort in the initial
creation.

I think it would serve well the proliferation and
popularization of org-mode.

Agreed.

This is the main reason why I'm a fan of the idea :)

Is anyone willing to check that there are no constraints?

I've read through https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838 and I couldn't see any constraints placed on us beyond the initial registration's requirements.

For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be needed. Perhaps https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html will do? It looks complete.

I'm hoping we could then use https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763
(registration of text/markdown) as a template, where we could just link
to the syntax specification.

Perhaps it could be worth putting the syntax spec under the main site as
something like orgmode.org/syntax-spec.html.

I've also been considering spinning off the manual into a bit of a
specification document (e.g. less of a guide / how-to, stripped down to
just the bare information), so perhaps
orgmode.org/specification.html#syntax ? I'd really like some second
opinions.

Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?

In about two months, I am.

It looks like creating and draft and then emailing it to
media-types@iana.org would probably be the best approach.

All the best,

Timothy.