org-remove-occur-highlight ignores BEG and END

From: Nicholas Savage
Subject: org-remove-occur-highlight ignores BEG and END
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:53:46 -0400

I've been exploring a bit of the code base for Org Mode and I stumbled upon
something I wanted to ask the wider community about. I've googled already and
didn't find anything. `org-remove-occur-highlight' in org.el takes two optional
parameters (alongside a third) BEG and END, but the documentary states that
they are ignored. I can see in the code as well that they have no purpose. What
is the reasoning for this? The only thing I can think of that could explain it
is if the optional parameters are there as placeholders so in the future if
they are implemented code that uses `org-remove-occur-highlight' doesn't break
since it is assuming the parameters are nil.

Am I on the right track here?

If so, I'm going to take a crack at implementing BEG and END, since I want that
functionality for my own personal todo system that might end up with some
improvements on Org's end.