Improving org-contacts performance (and state of development in general)

From: Daryl Manning
Subject: Improving org-contacts performance (and state of development in general)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 00:20:35 +0800

Strangely, I've come to rely over the last year on org-contacts as a lightweight, taggable CRM. However, as the file and C-z notes have grown, performance has really started to drag. I know people have used various schemes (caching) etc to try to improve performance and the like, but updates to the file are taking a solid 5 seconds now when making major updates and moving tags around.

Is there a solid, forked branch anywhere that focuses on enhancing performance anywhere? I'm tempted to wade in and add features and improvements myself but my elisp-fu is dodgy at best (more golang these days.).

I'd be interested in what people are doing to speed it up (and if it is under anything like active development for improvements. It does feel super handy, and feels like it just needs a performance and more modern features overhaul - more on interoperability and less on in-emacs interoperability.).

Would love to hear what people have done overall workflow wise if they are using it seriously.

thanks,
Daryl.