Re: make org-refile auto-recache when needed?

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: make org-refile auto-recache when needed?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 17:20:35 +0100

Hi Bastien,

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 04:12:08PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> writes:
I note that when org-refile-use-cache is enabled and the cache becomes
stale, attempting to refile results in this error message (originating
from `org-refile-check-position'):

    Invalid refile position, please clear the cache with `C-0 C-c C-w' before
refiling

Is there any reason why it couldn't just automatically rebuild the
cache when needed?

If we can rebuild the cache for refile target in a reliable way, sure,
we should do this.  I had a quick look and this isn't straightforward,
so help is welcome.  I note the idea for after 9.4.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't see why we need to be able to rebuild it reliably.  Can't we
just try, then if it succeeds, refile as normal, and if it fails, then
output an error saying that the cache rebuild failed and making a
helpful suggestion of what to try next?  Maybe I'm missing something.