Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 13:27:55 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know if anyone has suggested or is working on the ability for
>> org mode to
>> keep track of multiple running clocks simultaneously. I'd like the
>> ability to keep
>> track of, for example, how long something takes to compile while I
>> keep track of
>> how long I am working on some other project task at the same time.
>
> FWIW, this has also been requested in this thread recently:
>
> https://orgmode.org/list/CAL1eYu+BhbPa_Xk9G-zpUJM26iZca4Zke8Kt93_PQCefxQaAPQ@mail.gmail.com
>
> I can think of a few use cases, but I wonder if the is worth the added
> complexity.

It depends on how much complexity would it introduced into Org-mode. But I think
it's worth.

- Most clock commands I uses is clocking from headline on in org-agenda, or even
  from org-capture. Then clock out. If support multiple simultaneous clocks.
  Then might need to use some extra arguments like headline location. About
  this, I think should not be much complexity.
- If there are some case have not considered, can also be supported for new
feature.
- maybe the mode-line clocking might need to adjusted. Anyone have good idea?
  + If only one clock, then display clocking task tile.
  + If have more than one clocks, then display clock numbers?
  + Use mouse-hover tooltip to display currently all running clocks.
- But this new feature will bring more usage benefits. Like time tracking on
  different tasks; project top-level headline and sub-task simultaneous clocking
  for projects; and more accurate time statistics output on time-block etc. Also
  user can start new clock without interrupt old clock, for example, user
  defined an org-capture template will auto start a clock, but don't want to
  interrupt current clock.

For now, this is all I can come up with.

org-timer is a similar functionality.
Maybe consider to let org-timer to be simultaneous too?
But there is problem on how to interact with multiple org timers.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3