Re: Website revamp?

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: Website revamp?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 22:39:11 +0700

04.08.2020 13:27, TEC wrote:

Eric S Fraga writes:
I do like the animated images in the features page!

Glad you like them! I recently converted the static images to SVGs with the help of someone using Emacs27 w/ Cairo, would be nice go do something like an animated SVG in the future, but that's for (much) later :P

In firefox-63 announce I noticed the following links:
https://css-tricks.com/introduction-reduced-motion-media-query/ "An Introduction to the Reduced Motion Media Query" and the reference https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-reduced-motion

I am unsure if it is worth respecting such preferences (whether enough users aware of it) and I have no clear idea concerning implementation, so feel free to ignore this remark.

Depending on the mood, sometimes I would prefer several still images to one animated. E.g. for authoring: 1) org file with a couple levels of folded headers and visible beginning of content for some section, 2) table of contents fragment for the same headers in PDF or HTML, 3) org fragment with e.g. an equation or a table, 4) export result for the fragment.

There is a web site that I like for high quality texts (mostly) but the authors tend to use animated gifs too much. It could be annoying when you are tired and decided to read some news to relax. I missed "do not repeat gifs" checkbox in the browser settings. Some animated images are appropriate and more informative in comparison to ordinary pictures however. I do not provide the link since content is not in English.

On the other hand I think that a video on the main page could be convenient for mobile visitors. Personally, I would prefer single video to animated images scattered over the page. Of course, it requires even more efforts, and I am unsure if it is better to use an external external service or there is no problem to host in on the org site.