Re: Website revamp?

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Website revamp?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 23:53:13 +0800

Thanks for the feedback!

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
03.08.2020 12:11, TEC wrote:

To see how orgmode.org currently appears, see https://i.imgur.com/XPFfBaB.png

Sorry for negative (and maybe discouraging) feedback. I would not mind if you just skip my complains since I am not a contributor to org-mode.

Please, share your thoughts!

Concerning the screenshot, when first impression, that everything is broken and do not worth reading at all, is over, in my opinion, the text makes much more sense than "innovative" marketing stuff got priority on the demo of the new design. I consider the list of tasks, that org mode could help with, is the most important thing to attract new users. It should just be properly formatted.

Re content for the index page, my current thoughts are:
- Some sort of informative introductory paragraph
- List of most common applications of org - Note latest version, and when it was released

I also have a styled equivalent of the screenshot on the current site.

These things just need to move from my mind, to the page :)

Do let me know if you have any other specific ideas on content for the index.

It seems that new variant is too mobile-centric. On a 24in monitor I expect something more than just a banner. There is plenty of room for brief news related to new releases, for more details of most important features (on the other hand I am against arbitrary scaled screenshots with excessively huge characters in comparison to surrounded text), etc. I am aware that my taste is against of modern design trends.

If you have specific suggestions on how I could smoothly work in a better design for the index on the desktop, I'd love to hear them. If you could pair any such suggestions with reference to my earlier thoughts* on the purpose of each page that will make it easier to glimpse your thought process, and how it compares to my own.

\* see email in reply to Colin sent on Mon 03 Aug 07:53 UTC

A couple of remarks unrelated to new look but should be addressed in the case of rework. I am surprised that Emacs is explicitly mentioned only in html head title. The relation should be clear for new visitors.

That's:
a) been removed from the head title. I couldn't find a browser which would display the whole thing without chopping it off the last ~third b) going to be mentioned prominently in the body, at least in my current thoughts

As to installation, I believe that org-mode bundled with Emacs is more than enough for first try. It is a shorter path to become familiar with most prominent features just to start editing of an .org file (or to download a prepared demo .org). Getting the latest stable version could be a next step for the hooked users.

Are you saying that you find the current mention of Emacs in the instillation page works well? I'm currently just linking to Emacs. Looking at the page though, I think I should make a more prominent action to download Emacs.

I love the idea of a demo org file! If anyone would like to help out with creating one by sending in contenders / snippets that would be brilliant!

Even better - having two or three different demo files based on the use case of
the new user - e.g. programmer, author, organisation - or something like that.