Re: Bug: Org line commands and visual-line mode bindings [9.3.7 (9.3.7-1

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Bug: Org line commands and visual-line mode bindings [9.3.7 (9.3.7-15-gc9abb4-elpaplus @ /home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200727/)]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:38:05 -0300

Hi Marco,

thank you for your answer.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 17:34, Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure this is a "bug", strictly speaking, or if it is correct
>> unfortunate behavior.  Anyway, is there something that could be done
>> from Org's side?
>
> Also not sure if this is a bug. But you can configure the desired
> behavior by hooking in at activation of visual line mode AFAICS.
>
> You could e.g. add
>

> (add-hook 'visual-line-mode-hook
>           (lambda () (when (derived-mode-p 'org-mode)
>                        (local-set-key (kbd "C-a") #'org-beginning-of-line)
>                        (local-set-key (kbd "C-e") #'org-end-of-line)
>                        (local-set-key (kbd "C-k") #'org-kill-line))))
>
> to your config.

This is a good workaround.  I've been doing something else, which is
simply to bind the keys directly (that is not using `[remap ...]') in
`org-mode-map'.  This way the remappings done by `visual-line-mode' find
nothing to remap, and things work as expected.  However, while I'm safe
with this approach in my local settings, because I know I haven't changed
the default bindings for these commands, I don't know how good this
would be as a general solution for Org.

Anyway, it would be nice if this worked out-of-the-box, this can be
baffling behavior, especially for newer users.  But I'm not sure what to
suggest here.

Best,
Gustavo.