Re: [BUG] incorrect (and slow) indentation of logbook entries

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [BUG] incorrect (and slow) indentation of logbook entries
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 17:24:48 -0500

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Commit e3b79ad2bf7ab7b91c0ad2b8383d639bfe154ce7 from Feb. 9, 2020 (Allow
> a new value for `org-adapt-indentation') introduced a bug that causes
> logbooks to be incorrectly indented when promoting an entry. As a
> result, there are also significant slowdowns when promoting and demoting
> an entry with hundreds of logbook entries.

I did some more investigation and think the bug may lie deeper. The
commit above changed the functions used in org-fixup-indentation. Prior
to the commit org-fixup-indentation called org-indent-line on each line
within a LOGBOOK. Now it calls org-indent-region on the entire LOGBOOK.
So the problems seem to lie in org-indent-region.

To test this, I manually called org-indent-region on a region containing
a LOGBOOK. I saw the same indentation problems and slowness as I
reported in the previous email. Here are the profiling results from
calling org-indent-region on a LOGBOOK containing 303 lines (mix of
notes, clock drawers, state changes):

org-indent-region                                             303
20.374798015  0.0672435578
org-element-at-point                                          655
6.7059473859  0.0102380876
org-element--parse-to                                         654
6.6907969839  0.0102305764
org-element--current-element                                  36791
6.3040008640  0.0001713462
org-element--list-struct                                      3372
3.6317395729  0.0010770283
org--get-expected-indentation                                 355
3.00431385    0.0084628559
org-element-clock-parser                                      2738
0.7868292469  0.0002873737
org-element-item-parser                                       29700
0.7527248339  2.534...e-05
org-element-timestamp-parser                                  2738
0.7245477349  0.0002646266
org-parse-time-string                                         5476
0.6267072680  0.0001144461
org-element--collect-affiliated-keywords                      4026
0.2572965799  6.390...e-05
org-element-drawer-parser                                     654
0.1057650070  0.0001617201
org-element-plain-list-parser                                 3372
0.0736009140  2.182...e-05
org-get-limited-outline-regexp                                9063
0.0575772250  6.352...e-06
org-at-heading-p                                              8083
0.0267149439  3.305...e-06
org-element--cache-put                                        36791
0.0176797030  4.805...e-07
org-element-paragraph-parser                                  327
0.011128276   3.403...e-05