From: Colin Baxter
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 18:43:20 +0100

    > Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
    >> Eric Abrahamsen writes:

    >>> Hmm, I tried this (adding to `gnus-secondary-select-methods'),
    >>> and got:
    >>>
    >>> Warning: Opening nnimap server on news.yhetil.org...failed: NO
    >>> Mailbox doesn't exist: DOES.NOT.EXIST (0.001 + 0.000 secs).;
    >>> Unable to open server nnimap+news.yhetil.org due to: make client
    >>> process failed: Network is unreachable, :name, *nnimap*,
    >>> :buffer, *nnimap news.yhetil.org nil *nntpd**, :host,
    >>> news.yhetil.org, :service, imap, :coding, nil
    >>>
    >>> The "mailbox doesn't exist" thing seems to be misleading:
    >>> further attempts to connect to the server just gave me "network
    >>> is unreachable".  I wonder if this has something to do with my
    >>> tls settings? I'll set `gnutls-log-level' to 2 and try
    >>> again... Nope, same error.
    >>>
    >>> This is on Emacs master, I'm not sure what else I can check
    >>> (though I still suspect it's something to do with connection
    >>> security).
    >>
    >> Sorry, I switched it over to using a cert last night.  I should
    >> have sent a message here.  Hopefully just having
    >>
    >> (nnimap "news.yhetil.org")
    >>
    >> in gnus-secondary-select-methods will work for you.  I tried just
    >> now, and it worked on my end (Emacs 26.3).

    > Hey, that works great! It's a bit weird that it still asks for a
    > username and password, I wonder if there's any way to skip
    > that. I've never dealt with anonymous IMAP before -- is there
    > anything in the connection process that explicitly tells us "you
    > don't need to log on"?  Otherwise, I guess it doesn't hurt just to
    > save a bogus username/password and forget about it.

I noticed that too. I just hit return each time, which appears to be
acceptable. I was also asked if I want to save the credentials to my
autoinfo file. I hit yes and got these two lines:

machine news.yhetil.org-ephemeral login XXXX port imaps
machine news.yhetil.org login XXXX port imaps

I have only blanked out my usual machine user name - I entered no password.

Works well, though.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Colin Baxter