Re: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?

From: Jens Lechtenboerger
Subject: Re: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 07:54:10 +0200

On 2020-06-07, Diego Zamboni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on submitting a new set of exporters I've been working on
> (https://gitlab.com/zzamboni/ox-leanpub) to MELPA, and I received
> feedback [1] about the discrepancy between the package names
> (ox-leanpub-*) and the functions they define (org-leanpub-*). This is
> also flagged by =package-lint=.
>
> [1] https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6942
>
> [...]
>
> I would appreciate any feedback about this - what are strong arguments
> for or against insisting in this convention vs just adapting to the
> rules suggested by package-lint?

Hi there,

for org-re-reveal, I use a small wrapper ox-re-reveal.el [2], whose
commentary explains this:

;; Org export back-ends have file names starting with "ox-".
;; However, such files typically define variables and functions
;; starting with "org-", which causes errors by package-lint.  To
;; define variables and functions with the usual prefix "org-" while
;; avoiding errors by package-lint, code is located in
;; org-re-reveal.el.
;; However, the prefix "ox-" is hard-coded in org.el and used to load
;; back-ends in `org-export-backends'.  With this file, you can
;; customize `org-export-backends' and add `re-reveal'.  Then, when
;; pressing `C-c C-e', this file will be loaded, which loads
;; org-re-reveal.el.

Best wishes
Jens

[2] https://gitlab.com/oer/org-re-reveal/-/blob/master/ox-re-reveal.el