Re: [Feature] add a new org-attach dispatcher command to offline save we

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: [Feature] add a new org-attach dispatcher command to offline save web page
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 22:06:18 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I added monolith link to defcustom option docstring now. Update
>> patch again.
>
> thanks for working on this, sorry for coming late to the party.
>
> The initial need was to be able to download big web documents
> asynchronously* but the conversation drifted and the patch now is
> about adding a new org-attach command, using monolith.

No, my patch's purpose is to offline archive the whole web page completely.

> org-attach-commands is an option that users can customize to suit
> their needs.  Adding the ability to use monolith is fine, and we can
> advertize through Worg, but I don't think it should be in Org's core,
> because (1) monolith is never preinstalled and (2) there seems to be a
> thin and non-obvious difference between what `org-attach-url' and what
> `org-attach-url-archive' provide -- unless I miss something?

Well, It is acceptable if you think reply on monolith is un-acceptable.

I think maybe Org maintainer can improve the org-attach code to suitable to add
custom function. In my patch, If I want to add a custom function to archive
without modify Org Mode org-attach code, customize is not possible. So do you
have any idea to improve current org-attach code, make it suitable for things
like my patch?

> So please don't hesitate to document this on
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html or any other page!
>
> Thanks,
>
> * BTW, I still think implementing url-copy-file-asynchronously
> is something that would be useful within Emacs core!

I remember I send an email to emacs-dev mailing list, but seems this is not
implemented. So ....

- --
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3