Re: [QUESTION] What's the ":desk" link parameter?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] What's the ":desk" link parameter?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:29:53 +0200

Hi Ihor,

>> thanks for the patch.  I assume you are submitting it against master,
>> am I right?
>
> The patch is against commit 2e96dc639.

I see, thanks.

>> From reading this, I don't see what bug it fixes, what problem it
>> solves or what real user need it responds to, but maybe I lost part
>> of the context.  Can you explain why this should be applied?
>
> It does not fix any bug. Rather adds a new feature [1]. Currently, org
> provides org-link-make-description-function as user customisation to
> compute default link description. The patch provides a way to set such
> description functions on per link type basis (via :description link
> parameter). Using link parameters looks natural for me since similar
> customisation is already done in :follow and :store link parameters.

Okay, I understand.  It feels natural to me too.

I'm not sure `org-link-make-description-function' is used a lot out
there, but the change may break existing configurations/hacks.

Also, is it something we could use in the current export backends
or just for the users?  If the latter, then I'm in favor of making
this move, probably for 9.5.

Nicolas, what do you think?

--
 Bastien