Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 17:21:03 +0800

Hello,

[The patch itself will be provided in the following email]

I have three updates from the previous version of the patch:

1. I managed to implement buffer-local text properties.
   Now, outline folding also uses text properties without a need to give
   up independent folding in indirect buffers.

2. The code handling modifications in folded drawers/blocks was
   rewritten. The new code uses after-change-functions to re-hide text
   inserted in the middle of folded regions; and text properties to
   unfold folded drawers/blocks if one changes BEGIN/END line.

3. [experimental] Started working on improving memory and cpu footprint
   of the old code related to folding/unfolding. org-hide-drawer-all now
   works significantly faster because I can utilise simplified drawer
   parser, which require a lot less memory. Overall, I managed to reduce
   Emacs memory footprint after loading all my agenda_files twice. The

More details on the buffer-local text properties:

I have found char-property-alias-alist variable that controls how Emacs
calculates text property value if the property is not set. This variable
can be buffer-local, which allows independent 'invisible states in
different buffers.

All the implementation stays in
org--get-buffer-local-text-property-symbol, which takes care about
generating unique property name and mapping it to 'invisible (or any
other) text property.

More details on the new implementation for tracking changes:

I simplified the code as suggested, without using pairs of before- and
after-change-functions.

Handling text inserted into folded/invisible region is handled by a
simple after-change function. After testing, it turned out that simple
re-hiding text based on 'invisible property of the text before/after the
inserted region works pretty well.

Modifications to BEGIN/END line of the drawers and blocks is handled via
'modification-hooks + 'insert-behind-hooks text properties (there is no
after-change-functions analogue for text properties in Emacs). The
property is applied during folding and the modification-hook function is
made aware about the drawer/block boundaries (via apply-partially
passing element containing :begin :end markers for the current
drawer/block). Passing the element boundary is important because the
'modification-hook will not directly know where it belongs to. Only the
modified region (which can be larger than the drawer) is passed to the
function. In the worst case, the region can be the whole buffer (if one
runs revert-buffer).

It turned out that adding 'modification-hook text property takes a
significant cpu time (partially, because we need to take care about
possible existing 'modification-hook value, see
org--add-to-list-text-property). For now, I decided to not clear the
modification hooks during unfolding because of poor performance.
However, this approach would lead to partial unfolding in the following
case:

:asd:
:drawer:
lksjdfksdfjl
sdfsdfsdf
:end:

If :asd: was inserted in front of folded :drawer:, changes in :drawer:
line of the new folded :asd: drawer would reveal the text between
:drawer: and :end:.

Let me know what you think on this.

> You shouldn't be bothered by the case you're describing here, for
> multiple reasons.
>
> First, this issue already arises in the current implementation. No one
> bothered so far: this change is very unlikely to happen. If it becomes
> an issue, we could make sure that `org-reveal' handles this.
>
> But, more importantly, we actually /want it/ as a feature. Indeed, if
> DRAWER is expanded every time ":BLAH:" is inserted above, then inserting
> a drawer manually would unfold /all/ drawers in the section. The user is
> more likely to write first ":BLAH:" (everything is unfolded) then
> ":END:" than ":END:", then ":BLAH:".

Agree. This allowed me to simplify the code significantly.

> It seems you're getting it backwards. `before-change-functions' are the
> functions being called with a possibly wide, imprecise, region to
> handle:
>
>     When that happens, the arguments to ‘before-change-functions’ will
>     enclose a region in which the individual changes are made, but won’t
>     necessarily be the minimal such region
>
> however, after-change-functions calls are always minimal:
>
>     and the arguments to each successive call of
>     ‘after-change-functions’ will then delimit the part of text being
>     changed exactly.
>
> If you stick to `after-change-functions', there will be no such thing as
> you describe.

You are right here, I missed that before-change-functions are likely to
be called on large regions. I thought that the regions are same for
before/after-change-functions, but after-change-functions could be
called more than 1 time. After second thought, your vision that it is
mostly 0 or 1 times should be the majority of cases in practice.

More details on reducing cpu and memory footprint of org buffers:

My simplified implementation of element boundary parser
(org--get-element-region-at-point) appears to be much faster and also
uses much less memory in comparison with org-element-at-point.
Moreover, not all the places where org-element-at-point is called
actually need the full parsed element. For example, org-hide-drawer-all,
org-hide-drawer-toggle, org-hide-block-toggle, and
org--hide-wrapper-toggle only need element type and some information
about the element boundaries - the information we can get from
org--get-element-region-at-point.

The following version of org-hide-drawer-all seems to work much faster
in comparison with original:

(defun org-hide-drawer-all ()
  "Fold all drawers in the current buffer."
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward org-drawer-regexp nil t)
      (when-let* ((drawer (org--get-element-region-at-point '(property-drawer
drawer)))
                  (type (org-element-type drawer)))
        (org-hide-drawer-toggle t nil drawer)
        ;; Make sure to skip drawer entirely or we might flag it
        ;; another time when matching its ending line with
        ;; `org-drawer-regexp'.
        (goto-char (org-element-property :end drawer))))))

What do you think about the idea of making use of
org--get-element-region-at-point in org code base?

Further work:

1. Look into other code using overlays. Specifically,
org-toggle-custom-properties, Babel hashes, and narrowed table columns.

Best,
Ihor

--
Ihor Radchenko,