Re: using org mode to help with a construction project

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: using org mode to help with a construction project
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 10:58:08 +0200

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 06:13:01PM -0700, Ram Bhamidipaty wrote:
> I am still a beginner at org mode - I am looking for ideas or
> information about how I can use org mode to help me manage a
> construction project.
>
> I have a list of contractors (name, phone, email, etc) that I want to
> contact - and eventually get bids. Right now I would like to keep track
> of which ones have been sent an initial email, a time stamp for that
> would also be good. Maybe even record any response.

Start with a text outline, since you're new to org. Try adding timestamps to
record when you did things with C-u C-c . (adding an inactive timestamp). Use
your header tags to record the state of things (TODO and DONE).

> If there were a nice way to select and export the contact info for
> certain contractors that would be nice. I have a list of around 40 and I
> want to contact them in batches of 5. Maybe I could pick 5, export the
> addresses to Thunderbird and send initial requests.

Treat it as all text for now while you're learning. Paste in their contact data
into a headline with them, and manage it that way. Create action items for them
underneath their entry.

Later you can get into things like drawers, column view, keywords, etc.

You're likely to always have to copy and paste out their contact data if you
aren't using an Emacs mail client.

Here's how I would start, in a fresh empty file.

* Construction Project

** Contractors

*** TODO BOB's Billy Goat Crew

Bob, 999-555-1212, off Blueberry Lane.

[2020-05-31 Sun 10:53]
Called bob today, and we discussed X, Y, and Z.

[2020-05-31 Sun 10:55]
Sent bob an email confirming our discussion, with points to follow up on

**** TODO Bob had a question

[2020-05-31 Sun 10:55]
Do we use nails or screws? Must check!

*** DONE Sleezy Todd's Emporium of Fraud

Todd, 888-555-1212, under the bridge by the tracks.

[2020-05-30 Sat 08:54]
Called on Todd today. He said he could deliver everything. Sounded too
interested. Made an appt.

[2020-05-31 Sun 10:55]
Visited Todd today, and I'm not impressed. I think he'd shortcut the work and
has no good prior examples. No longer considering him.